This week Bob and Dale urge everyone to sign the petition to the President asking him to stand up for small businesses and tell the FDA to leave premium cigars alone. TAKE ACTION NOW and sign the petition! 25,000 Signatures are needed by May 11, 2012.
Bob and Dale answer email from Allen Finch and Roger Miller. Big Pete from Australia calls in on the herfline with a cigar review and some news about discontinued lines. The Cigar of the Week is the ORTSAC Bulletproof Torpedo 6.25 x 54. Bob interviews Victor Vitale, owner of ORTSAC Cigars. Derek Matthew suggests this week's unbanded, the Cromagnon Knuckle Dragger Petite Robusto. In the live chatroom, Gregory Dunn and Derek Matthew win a Panacea Peacemaker and two tickets to the Tribute to the Wounded Warrior May 27th event at Great Meadows, The Plains, VA., compliments of CigarVolante and Panacea Cigars. Chad Miller wins a personalized box of CommonWealth Cedar Spills and Carl Holtman wins a special prize from Bob because he has excellent spelling.
JOIN DOGWATCH CIGAR RADIO AT ITS VERY FIRST HERF on July 27th and July 28th at Tranquilo Cigars in Melbourne Florida (about 1 hour's drive from Orlando, 2 hour's drive from Tampa and 3 hour's drive from Miami). Tickets are $35 and only 25 spots are available for this intimate gathering. Friday night will feature a live DWCR show with everyone in the crowd experiencing the Cigar of the Week and the Unbanded cigar. Saturday we will have a Tasting seminar, meetings with manufacturers, lunch and door prizes. So far we have Monte Pascoal, Miami Cigar & Company, CigarVolante and Panacea Cigars, La Tradicion Cubana, Winston’s Humidor and Lou Rodriquez Cigars signed on to participate in the herf in some way. Also sponsoring the herf is Cigar Journal, Cigar Tourism and the Humidity Bead System (Cigarmony.com, Mark Neff). Special celebrity guest Frank Torre (played for the Milwaukee Braves (1956–60) and Philadelphia Phillies (1962–63) will also be on hand. Each registrant will receive a gift bag worth more than the $35 admission fee. To reserve your spot now, email Liz@cigarmedia.tv.
Check out the live show! Go to http://www.cigarmedia.tv/live/ where the show is broadcast live most Friday evenings at 9 PM EST. Be a part of the show while participating in the chatroom.
Enter April's Palio contest to win a black Palio cutter by sending a photo of you or your friends enjoying a cigar to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Don't forget to include your mailing address and type "Palio" on the subject line.) To see the contest pictures, click on the Contest icon on the www.cigarmedia.tv home page. Remember you must re-enter each month to be eligible to win. March's contest winner of a black Palio cutter is David Dennis.
Cigar of the Week - ORTSAC Bulletproof Torpedo 6.25 x 54
The unusual cigar name is "Castro" spelled backwards. The 20 count box is made of the same type of material used for bullet-proof vests (however, the box is not bullet-proof grade).
- Origin: Santiago, Dominican Republic
- Wrapper: Nicaraguan, Corojo
- Binder: Dominican
- Filler: Dominican & Nicaraguan fillers, aged for 5 years
- Sizes: Robusto: 5 x 52; Toro Gordo: 6 x 54; Torpedo: 6 1/4 x 54
What else have you been smokin' Dale?
EPC Short Run 2012 - I wasn’t able to take notes while I smoked this, but enjoyed it tremendously. Compares favorably with the earlier version, but lacks just a touch of the depth and complexity.
Trinidad Ingenios, 2007 Edicion Limitada - 6.5” (165mm) x 42 - This Cervantes, or Lonsdale vitola was a new special size for the Trinidad limited edition in 2007. They were presented in a cedar box of 12 cigars in one layer. The cigar is finished with a pigtail cap and has the standard band used since 2003 with the EL band below it. More aged barnyard flavors then when I first tried one in 2008, and a much more pleasant experience. Still has lots more aging potential!
Fuente Fuente OpusX Bad to the Bone - A mid-sized Salamone shape with the unmistakable “firecracker” type head finish. The nipple of the foot is finished in a maduro wrapper. Probably the sweetest Opus X I’ve ever had. Mixed with great spice, cedar and cereal grain flavors, that toffee-like sweetness was a perfect combination. Full bodied, med-full strength and off the chart full flavored! It burned perfectly, clear to the nub, for 85 minutes and I immediately wanted another one.
What else have you been smokin' Bob?
Davidoff Millenium Blend - A robusto sized pack of pure joy. There are some cigars that when I smoke them, the pure quality, complexity and savoir faire just make my eyes light up and really appreciate the better cigars. This is one. Mild to medium with fine smooth flavors of leather, nuts, coffee and excellent acidity. An excellent cigar.
My Father Le Bijou - I smoke a lot of cigars every week and it is nice to get some that really stand above the rest. This cigar is peppery, smoky and very smooth.
What's My Band?- This week's unbanded, the Cromagnon Knuckle Dragger Petite Robusto, was suggested by Derek Matthews.
Do you have a suggestion for the unbanded cigar of the week? Every week Bob and Dale include an “unbanded cigar” segment in their show in which they smoke a cigar without any markings and give their honest opinions. Bob then opens a sealed envelope and discovers the cigar’s name and manufacturer. If you have suggestions for the "What's My Band?" segment, or would like to provide 2-4 What's my Band? cigars, please email email@example.com. Anyone providing samples will receive a DogWatch Cigar Radio pin and sticker!
Do you have a Cigar Review or a comment about the show? If you call and leave a cigar review or comment on the herfline and it is played on the show, you will receive a DogWatch Cigar Radio pin and sticker! You can reach the Herfline at 321-594-4373 - or cigar.radio on Skype. You can also send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please visit our sponsors and let them know you heard about them from DogWatch!
- Black Dog Coffee: http://www.blackdogcoffee.net/
- Cigar Tourism: http://cigartourism.com/
- Cigar Journal: http://www.cigarjournal.co/
- Cuban Cigar Creation App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cuban-cigar-creation/id441057146?mt=8
- Cigar Volante: http://www.cigarvolante.com/
- CommonWealth Cedar Spills: http://www.cedarspills.com/
- DogWatch Cigar Radio iTunes App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dogwatch-cigar-radio-weekly/id338128296?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D6
- DogWatch Cigar Radio Android App: http://www.appbrain.com/app/dogwatch-cigar-radio/tv.wizzard.android.dogwatchsocialclub850
- Esencia Cigars: http://www.esenciacigar.com/
- Flatbed Cigars, makers of Panacea Cigars: http://www.flatbedcigarcompany.com/
- La Palina: http://www.lapalinacigars.com/
- La Tradicion Cubana: http://www.tradicion.com/
- Miami Cigar and Company: http://www.miamicigarandcompany.com/
- Mobile Stogie Pro App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobile-stogie-by-cigar-research/id395661756?mt=8
- Mobile Stogie Ref App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobile-stogie-reference/id431376892?mt=8
- Monte Pascoal Cigars: http://www.montepascoalcigars.com/
- Palio Cigar Cutters:http://paliocutters.com/
- Scotch Pro App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scotch-pro/id457390580?mt=8
- Tranquilo Cigars: http://www.tranquilocigars.com/
- Vanderburgh Humidors: www.vanderburghhumidors.com