This week Bob and Dale announce their plans for a DogWatch Cigar Radio Herf on July 27th and July 28th at Tranquilo Cigars in Melbourne Florida. Tickets are $35 and only 25 spots are available for this intimate gathering. Friday night will feature a live version of DWCR with everyone in the crowd experiencing the Cigar of the Week and the Unbanded cigar. Saturday we will have a Tasting seminar, meetings with manufacturers, lunch and door prizes. More is in the planning stage and additional details will be coming out shortly. Each registrant will receive a gift bag worth more than the $35 admission fee. We are still finalizing details but to reserve your spot now, email Liz@cigarmedia.tv.
Also this week, Simone Bergese, Potomac Point's Winemaker/Vineyard Manager and Ron Barker of CigarVolante, distributor of Panacea Cigars, conduct a cigar and wine pairing featuring Potomac Point's new ruby port. Big Pete from Australia calls in on the herf line to review the Alec Bradley Tempus. Listener Rob Levine writes us with a review of the San Lotano Oval.
You still have time to vote to get Cigarmony's patented Humidity Bead System® on the shelves of Walmart. Go to http://www.getontheshelf.com/product/2550/Humidity-Bead-System and vote daily (You can vote twice daily if you vote by text and facebook.)
The Cigar of the Week is the Esencia Petite Corona. The Unbanded Cigar, the Black Patch Classic Robusto 4.75x48 was suggested by Jon French.
Check out the live show! Go to http://www.cigarmedia.tv/live/ where the show is broadcast live most Friday evenings at 9 PM EST. Be a part of the show while participating in the chatroom.
Enter March's Palio contest to win a black Palio cutter by sending a photo of you or your friends enjoying a cigar to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Don't forget to include your mailing address and type "Palio" on the subject line.) To see the contest pictures, click on the Contest icon on the www.cigarmedia.tv home page. Remember you must re-enter each month to be eligible to win.
Cigar of the Week - Esencia Petite Corona
- 5 1/8 x 42
- Filler: Nicaragua
- Binder: Nicaragua
- Wrapper: Nicaragua
- Origin: Honduras
What else have you been smokin' Dale?
Padilla La Terraza Capa Habano Serie 2010 - 6” x 52 - Nicarugua Puro with a beautiful Habano variety wrapper that is oily & toothy. Finished with a well done triple cap and dressed in a double band. Coffee, cream and leather are the core flavors, and they’re balanced with an exotic spice that builds from foot to head. As the cigar finishes, dark coffee and those cinnamon and nutmeg spices dominate. Full bodied and medium strength - a great late night cigar that pairs well with Highland Scotch. The La Terraza name comes from the Cuban restaurant made famous by visits from Hemingway.
Leon Jimenes #4 - 5.625” x 42 - Dominican filler & binder covered in a delicate Connecticut shade wrapper. Made at La Auroro since 1987, this is an “old school” Dominican style cigar with mild levels of flavor intensity, medium bodied smoke and outstanding floral room aromas. Cedar, sweet grass and light coffee flavors with a touch of almond nuttiness.
Augusto Reyes Nativo Toro - 6.2” x 54 - A complex blend of Dominican Piloto Cubano, Olor and Criollo wrapped in a Criollo ‘98 leaf that is beautifully fermented to a dark maduro and almost dripping with oils. Toasted breadiness, cedar and mocha flavors that are bold and balanced. Sweetness appears at the end of the first ⅓ that is like toffee. Quite full bodied and a long, deep finish.
Oliva Serie G “special G” - 3.7” x 48 - A silky Cameroon wrapper over Nicaraguan tobaccos in a short & sweet size that is perfect for a mid-day break. A medium bodied cigar with light coffee & cedar flavors, topped with spice, nuts and some light sweetness from the Cameroon leaf.
What else have you been smokin' Bob?
Kristoff Sumatra, Churchill - medium bodied cigar with velvety floral notes, spice, cinnamon and a smooth sweet finish.
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Filler: Cuban Seed Dominican, Cuban Seed Nicaraguan
- Kristoff Sumatra Robusto 5.5 x 54
- Kristoff Sumatra Matador 6.5 x 56
- Kristoff Sumatra Torpedo 6.25 x 52
- Kristoff Sumatra Churchill 7 x 50
CAIN Straight Ligero Habano - Slight saltiness on the tongue distinguishes this blend from its brothers in the CAIN line up. Bitter almond on the retro-hale and full flavors of coffee and expresso in a smooth dark package. This really is one of my favorite CAIN cigars that goes especially well with coffee or raspberry tea.
- Twenty five percent Esteli Ligero
- Twenty seven percent Condega Ligero
- Thirty percent Jalapa Ligero
- Nicaraguan Habano wrapper, triple fermented filler
Ortega Serie D No 6
What's My Band?- This week's unbanded, the Black Patch Classic Robusto 4.75x48 was suggested by Jon French.
Bob's review: Sat down with a glass of Sans Soucy Vineyards Reserve Traminette, a white wine from Virginia. The cigar gave me a decided prelight aroma of chocolate. It was a slightly refined aroma of barnyard that reminded me more of chocolate. The wrapper is a light brown or dark natural color, slightly mottled.
The cigar flavors seemed to dance in my mouth and really took the edge off the natural bitterness of the Traminette. The cigar could have been bolder to really exploit the wine. However, the cigar flavors were tannic with traces of leather and oak. The retrohale was nutty and only slightly sharp. Grassy flavor came in after the first third. Not my favorite flavor but because of the wine it was not the least bit obtrusive.
Do you have a suggestion for the unbanded cigar of the week? Every week Bob and Dale include an “unbanded cigar” segment in their show in which they smoke a cigar without any markings and give their honest opinions. Bob then opens a sealed envelope and discovers the cigar’s name and manufacturer. If you have suggestions for the "What's My Band?" segment, please send them to email@example.com.
Do you have a Cigar Review or a comment about the show? If you call and leave a cigar review or comment on the herfline and it is played on the show, you will receive a DogWatch Cigar Radio patch! You can reach the Herfline at 321-594-4373 - or cigar.radio on Skype. You can also send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please visit our sponsors and let them know you heard about them from DogWatch!
- Black Dog Coffee: http://www.blackdogcoffee.net/
- Cigar Tourism: http://cigartourism.com/
- Cigar Journal: http://www.cigarjournal.co/
- Cuban Cigar Creation App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cuban-cigar-creation/id441057146?mt=8
- Cigar Volante: http://www.cigarvolante.com/
- CommonWealth Cedar Spills: http://www.cedarspills.com/
- DogWatch Cigar Radio iTunes App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dogwatch-cigar-radio-weekly/id338128296?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D6
- DogWatch Cigar Radio Android App: http://www.appbrain.com/app/dogwatch-cigar-radio/tv.wizzard.android.dogwatchsocialclub850
- Esencia Cigars: http://www.esenciacigar.com/
- Flatbed Cigars, makers of Panacea Cigars: http://www.flatbedcigarcompany.com/
- La Palina: http://www.lapalinacigars.com/
- La Tradicion Cubana: http://www.tradicion.com/
- Miami Cigar and Company: http://www.miamicigarandcompany.com/
- Mobile Stogie Pro App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobile-stogie-by-cigar-research/id395661756?mt=8
- Mobile Stogie Ref App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobile-stogie-reference/id431376892?mt=8
- Monte Pascoal Cigars: http://www.montepascoalcigars.com/
- Palio Cigar Cutters:http://paliocutters.com/
- Scotch Pro App: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scotch-pro/id457390580?mt=8
- Vanderburgh Humidors: www.vanderburghhumidors.com